As a licensed and ordained chaplain I am committed to the Christian Ethics of cooperation and professional growth, equality, diversity, human justice and grace.
I affirm and promote the value, dignity and worth of each person I encounter in the ministry. In following the model Jesus of Nazareth established for caring for people we covenant to:
As a ordained and licensed chaplain and minister called to serve as commissioned by the sacred Word of God. In Christian grace and duty, I respond with love and compassion to people needs in their whole existence. I embrace the understanding that human beings are created in the image of God with uniqueness and freedom to think, act and feel.
1. I will not in any way misrepresent themselves as law enforcement officers, fire fighter, federal agents or any other government entity.
2. I understand the high value and dignity of the human being and actively attempt to avoid allowing their personal needs to exploit others. I must always be aware of the power invested in me in my role and by the people seeking help.
3. I recognize the sacredness of human relationships and do not engage in sexual intimacies with those coming to them for spiritual support. Chaplains do not engage in sexual harassment of any kind.
4. I actively attempt to understand and recognize the diverse cultural backgrounds of the people soliciting or receiving their pastoral care. In serving as chaplain I will not condone or engage in discrimination for any reason.
5. I will provide pastoral care considering people's own spiritual resources to cope with physical, mental and spiritual challenges.
6. I must make every effort to avoid accepting donations or gifts that would knowingly place a hardship on the donor or their family. Furthermore, I will never accept donations or gifts that would place the donor's welfare, or their families welfare in jeopardy in any way.
7. I will not talk down to, degrade, belittle, or disrespect another in any way for any reason including but not limited to the following: color, culture, disability, ethnic, gender, race, religion, education or marital status.
8. I will not allow themselves to be involved in the following, discrimination, harassment, retaliation, or intimidation towards other members due to actual or perceived color, culture, disability, ethnic, gender, race, religion, education or marital status or for any other reason.
9.I will always be respectful to each members of clergy.
Confidentiality and Pastoral Relationship
1. In serving as chaplain I will respect the right of all those that come to them requesting pastoral care. In serving as chaplain I will control the amount of personal information they want to disclose. I will respect peoples right to privacy and avoid unwarranted disclosures of confidential information. When appropriate serving as chaplain must inform those requesting their help of the difference between privileged information which may be confidential and threats which may have to be reported. Chaplains take the initiative to clarify their limits concerning privileged information.
2. In providing pastoral care to minors or to individuals who cannot decide for themselves will get the consent from the parents or guardians by them signing a waiver.
3. I will obtain permission from the people to whom they provide pastoral care before taking notes or electronically recording pastoral encounters.
4. I am responsible for securing the safety and confidentiality of any pastoral encounters and records they create, maintain, transfer, or destroy whether the records are written, taped, computerized, or stored in any other medium.
Chaplain's Competence and Pastoral Relationship
1. I embrace the need of maintaining high standards of clergy and professional competence in the ministry. Members shall actively strive to grow as disciples of Jesus Christ.
2. I am committed to continue their pastoral and personal education to be better equipped to serve.
3. I recognize their boundaries of competence referring to other professionals as they see necessary.
4. If placed in a teaching position I will use their pastoral skills and human awareness to uplift those under their educational care avoiding emotional, physical or spiritual harm at all cost.